It’s been a while since I last discussed the recent videogame console war. It was long my belief that Nintendo’s Wii, with its focus on the player’s experience, would be the real winner. Although there is plenty of time for these two to battle it out, the early results are a clear indication that Nintendo’s approach has disrupted Sony. Michael Urlocker’s OnDisruption blog has a great post that lays out the case and offers six concepts about Disruption that are applicable to any business:
- Nintendo’s market disruption is not about better technology;
- Disruption is not about incremental improvements;
- Disruption is about understanding where the customer experience is not good enough;
- Disruption is about making a product more accessible;
- Disruption is about changing the basis of competition;
- Disruption is about a new business model.